SERB has developed a scheme SERB-SUPRA (Scientific and Useful Profound Research Advancement) that seeks to explore new scientific breakthroughs, with long-term impact on our fundamental scientific understanding, and offer disruptive technologies at the cutting edge. SERB-SUPRA is a scheme beyond normal core research grants and purposefully designed for high quality proposals consisting of new hypothesis or challenge existing ones and provide "out-of-box" solutions. Transformative and disruptive research concepts based on innovative and unproven hypothesis, possessing a high degree of uncertainty, yet having conviction to produce a lasting impact across discipline boundaries qualify for support under SERB-SUPRA.
Most important measures of this scheme are:
- Quantum of advances (incremental and short terms gains are strongly discouraged).
- Extent of disruption in fundamental understanding or impact on outstanding research grand challenges: new areas, new concepts, new products, new disruptive technologies.
- Ability of research outcomes in enhancing scientific knowledge of the cutting-edge at the international level and/or emergence of critical technologies.
- Global impact, outstanding publications, advancement of science.
- Applicants [Principal Investigator (PI) and / or Co-Principal Investigator(s) (Co-PI(s))] should be Indian citizens. Foreign nationals (including OCI and NRI) are also eligible to apply provided they fulfil the eligibility criteria notified by SERB (SERB Funding Guidelines for foreign nationals dated 27th Oct 2016.
- The applicant(s) must hold a regular academic/research position in a recognized academic institution or national laboratory or in any other recognized R&D institution in India with at least 5 years of service remaining. The term "Regular" refers to the applicants who are appointed against the sanctioned post or in a tenure post but are likely to be renewed after the end of the tenure. The PI and Co-PI who has a financial commitment in the proposal should have at least 5 years of service remaining at the time of submission of proposal.
- Private Academic institutions with valid UGC / AICTE / PCI approval, Private R&D Institutions with valid DSIR-SIRO recognition and Voluntary and Non-Governmental Organizations registered under NITI-AAYOG Darpan portal are eligible to host a project.
- Faculties recruited through UGC-Faculty Recharge Program are eligible to apply. INSPIRE Faculty, Ramanujan and Ramalingaswamy Fellows, Research Associates, Ad-hoc faculties, Guest Faculty, Visiting Scientist, consultant, Project Fellows and Faculty membrs whose contract is renewed every year are not eligible. In respect of cases that are not mentioned here, SERB reserves the right to determine the eligibility.
- The PI and Co-Investigator(s) should hold Ph.D. degree in Science, Mathematics, Engineering or M.D / M.S. / M.D.S. / M.V.Sc degree at the time of applying for grant.
Nature & Duration of Support :
- The SUPRA scheme provides research support to an individual researcher or a group of researchers working in a recognized academic institution or national laboratory or in other recognized R & D institutions in India.
- Funding will be provided normally for a period of three years, which could be extended to 2 years (5 years total) subject to performance evaluation.
- The research grant is provided for equipment, manpower, consumables, travel and contingency. "Overheads" is also be provided to the implementing institution as per prevailing norms of SERB.
- National Laboratories and Research Institutions should share 50% of the non-recurring cost of the project. For projects with total cost more than Rs. 80 lakh, 50% of the non-recurring and consumables cost should be shared by the Lab/Institution. If project is approved for SERB support, a certificate from National Laboratory / Research Institution will be required for the same.
Selection & Mode Of Application :
- A single submission of full SUPRA proposal will be subjected to a two-phase evaluation process.
- First phase: Initial screening will be based on assessment of extended synopsis as described in the application format and research track record of the Principal Investigator, as judged by her/his CV. Only those proposals which proceed through the first phase will be sent out for external review.
- Second phase: Full scientific proposal should meet the core mandate and features of SUPRA and it will be closely judged on these lines in the second step of the assessment process. Proposals qualifying after domain expert reviews may be subjected to formal presentation by PI / co-PIs before the Committee.
- An applicant is eligible to apply only one proposal during a call as a PI.
- Any proposal technically rejected should not be resubmitted without any substantial revision to any schemes or programs of the SERB.
- Not more than one project is allowed at any given time as a Principal Investigator under the program SUPRA.
- The Call for applications will be notified through the website "www.serbonline.in" and "www.serb.gov.in". The application form along with a proper research proposal highlighting the research work to be undertaken should be submitted online through the website "www.serbonline.in".
- The selection will be based on the recommendations of Program Advisory Committee (PAC) constituted by the Board. If required, the applicants maybe called for discussion/ presentation.
How to Apply Online :
For successful online submission of the application the following points may be noted:
- Applicant should first register into the online website. click here to register. If you have already registered, you can login using your user ID.
- After successful registration, user will be sent a confirmation mail on registered email ID. User must click on the URL provided in the mail to confirm registration.
- After log-in, applicant(s) are required to fill all the mandatory fields in Profile Detail section under User Profile. which includes Bio-data, Photo, Institute Address etc.
- If you have Co-PI in your proposal, then ensure that all the Co-PI"s are also registered into the system following the same procedure.
- Details of Patent, Publications in last 5 years, Projects, Research Collaboration, Academic Supervision of all investigators (PI and all COPI"s) has to be provided
- Some of the details of your proposal like Project Title (max 500 characters), Project summary (max 3000 characters), Keywords (max 6), Objectives of project (max 1500 characters), Expected output and outcome of the proposal (max 1500 characters), Budget (Manpower, Consumables, Travel, Equipment, Contingency, Overheads) must be entered at the time of proposal submission.
- Other relevant information of the proposal must be uploaded in single PDF file not more than 10 MB as other technical document (OTD). Download Template
Documents required (in PDF) should be in prescribed format:
- Biodata (under user profile section)
- Certificate from Principal Investigator
- Endorsement Letter from the Head of Institution
- If project is approved for SERB support, the Quotations of the approved equipment need to be uploaded within one month of the date of the Approval Letter.
- Plagiarism undertaking
Formats and Guidelines
The project proposal should be prepared according to the guidelines and submitted online through the website www.serbonline.in
The details of Programme Advisors / Coordinators and Programme Officers are given below